Monday, February 8, 2010

A month in a nutshell...


So initially I was avoiding writing because I didn't feel like there was much to say, but recently my writing has been null because I am overwhelmed by all the things I haven't documented. Therefore all you faithful readers are advised to stay intrigued while I try to recreate the last month of my adventures.

December 20th through January 3rd was spent at home in Minnesota with the family. We spent a couple of days in Lutsen skiing, saunaing, and enjoying each others company... and of course the beautiful Lake Superior. I got back to St.Louis and was supposed to o to a place called Potosi Missouri for a week, but the weather got cold( at least cold for Missouri... yep I am kinda a Minnesota cold weather snob). So, we spent the first couple days doing some fire training. On Wednesday we learned that due to the cold temperatures the city of St.Louis wanted us to open a warming shelter for the homeless in the area. It was supposed to hold twenty people but we decided to go above and beyond. We not only supplied people with a warm place but we also organized food and blanket donations and set up cots for over 40 people. I was privileged to work a shift from 6pm to 12am and it was a very rewarding experience. I talked to some great men and women, learned some important lessons from them, and really had fun during the whole thing. One man asked me why we weren't handing out Bibles. I explained that we were not affiliated with a religious organization but if he wanted to talk about something I would be happy to have a conversation. He went on to quote great deals of scripture and advised me of some passages to read. This man was so open minded and he told me he didn't care what I believed. He said if I believed it and acted on my beliefs to the best of my abilities then I was doing what I needed to do. I definitely took more away from that conversation than I expected.

The next week I spent back at Roaring River in Cassville Missouri. You know the drill... cutting cedars and all that jazz.

On the 18th(MLK Day) I was privileged to be chosen as a Volunteer manager for a service project at Stevens Middle school in St.Louis. This was an urban school with a small budget and a great deal of need. I spent the day organizing over 70 volunteers with tasks like painting, cleaning, and weatherizing. The turn out was mostly community members, both young and old and very diverse. I barely did any physical work that day but was so exhausted by the end. Managing people is one of the toughest jobs out there. They seemed to have a great experience though so it was all worth it.

The rest of the week was spent at Potosi Missouri. We were clearing fallen trees off trails. They had a huge wind storm a year before and there was an incredible amount of damage done in the state parks there.

For the last couple of weeks I have been working in Roby Missouri. We have been working on blow down from the same windstorm that hit Potosi, but instead of using chainsaws we are using cross cut saws. Essentially we are cutting up trees like loggers have been doing for hundreds of years. The park we are working in is a Wilderness park so that means no mechanical devices are allowed in. We have to hike miles in to cut all these trees by hand. I must admit, for as physically demanding and exhausting the project is there is a great amount of satisfaction that developes with each tree cut. Its a feeling of "yeah I did that!" Oh another cool thing about Roby is I can get cell phone service... ok there is a catch. I have to climb to the top of a 10 story fire tower to get it... but man whats better then a conversation with a view!

Wow... I cant believe you stayed with me this long :) A lot has happened and I will never put off writing this long again!!!

So until we meet again or you receive a call from a fire tower... best wishes

Elsa

No comments:

Post a Comment