Sunday, June 13, 2010

Feeling Hot, hot, hot

The VRC we set up in Choctaw County

My days in Mississippi have come and gone. It was an incredible experience and I am really lucky to have been a part of something so worthwhile. Our team helped over 70 families in Choctaw county, 40 families in Atalla County, and 130 families in Holmes county. We managed volunteers from all over the country, cleaned up peoples homes and yards (or what was left of them), and put in place a long term recovery committee to get them looking toward the future. My big job was to drive around and find people that were affected by the storms and offer them free assistance. I learned a lot doing this, but one thing is for sure: Southern hospitality is real... every single person I talked to was very kind and went above and beyond to make sure I felt welcomed. There were many who needed help, but wouldn't accept it because they knew someone who needed it more. Mississippi has the highest poverty and lowest education rates in the country. The people were trying to help had been helping themselves for years... they didn't know anyone cared. It was so gratifying to work for those who appreciated it and who needed it. The last of our team came back on Friday. Now these counties Mississippi have to work with the long term effects of these storms and plan for future disasters. They can do it!


A trailer once stood here... this car is all that is left


A group of high schoolers from Michigan who came to volunteer.

These national guard tents held those who lost their homes and us



We formed a chain to get a big Red Cross semi unloaded


These are the amazing Americorps folks I worked with


I actually left Mississippi on the 19th of May to fly home for a wedding. It was beautiful and so great to be home for a weekend. I even got to go to a cabin up north with my mom to fish and hear the loons! When I got back to St.Louis I spent a week working in the office... mostly sharpening chains but also doing some case management training.


The last two weeks I was in Winona MO building a trail. It is about a mile and a half and we are building it from scratch. The project is slow going, but very worthwhile. We start our days early so we don't have to work in the hot part of the day. Just so you know today's heat index was 105 in St.Louis. In the afternoons we go to swimming holes and springs in the area to cool off.

Us building a trail


This is Big Spring the largest spring in the world!


Last week I got to challenge myself and act as the team leader for our project. It was a blast and the feedback I got was extremely encouraging. I found out that I am going back to Winona... our goal is to finish the trail this week! Wish us luck... I will let you know how it goes later,

Trying to keep cool,
Elsa

1 comment:

  1. Elsa - it sounds like you're doing amazing work! Keep it up. :o) Have you started thinking about Life After AmeriCorps yet? miss you!

    ReplyDelete